Sunday, July 25, 2010

Take that California Pizza Kitchen!


Sorry I've been MIA the past few days. The combination of laziness, rain and photoshop/dreamweaver I havent cooked much lately. Shame! I've been working on some photo projects and my website and that combined with the major thunderstorms makes me not want to go outside to the grocery store. So I've been hibernating in my comfy chair, with my laptop and diet coke what else does a girl need?! Thai Pizza-that's what.

So for my comback from my 5 day hiatus I needed somethin' good! So since I loved the Thai Peanut Sauce I decided to make a pizza with it! Super easy since I'm a master at the sauce recipe by now, and all I needed from the store was carrots, sprouts, green onion and dough. I've decided I play an evil game when I go to the store. I kind of guess how much I think I'm going to spend (I always guess under-shocker). So I'm standing in line while the cashier's ringing all my stuff up and I feel like I'm on a bad game show, every time I see another item swipped my heart sinks. To show you how incredibly desperate to save money I am I actually grated STRING CHEESE. That's right, you heard me. I needed mozzerella and remembered I had Mozz String cheese at home, so I said oh yea it's all gunna melt in the oven anyway, I'll just use that. Well let me tell you, it was not an easy feat and I almost grated my nail off but I did it. Took about 4 string cheeses to get what I needed for the pizza. Look at me, Betty Frikin Homemaker meets girl scout-Always prepared! When I asked the boyfriend if he wanted to try my Thai Pizza he kinda made a face. So I divided the dough in half and we each had little personal pizzas. Me-Thai Chicken Pizza; Him-Pepperoni Pizza extra Pepperoni. Worked out perfectly. I didnt snag a picture of his but I got mine! Which let's face it, is what counts :)
So I think I can give Cali Pizza Kitchen a run for it's money. I was looking at their website to see if there were any other pizzas I could emulate, and there are a few I'm going to have to try! I've been slightly obsessing over CPK because a branch just opened in my hometown in Florida and my best friend started working there, so if that wasn't enough my parents had to call after they had gone for the first time to brag. My reply was "we'll I'll make a pizza just as good" (p.s I did)
CPK reminds me...well...of California. Is that redundant? I suppose. But every summer since I was born almost my mom, dad and I went out to the Bay Area where my dad is from to visit my grandma and family. It might be one of my favorite places in the world and defiantly in my top 5 of US cities. This is beoming a rambling so I apologize. Cliff Notes: I like Cali, I would move there if it weren't so expensive and I love CPK.

BUT you know what I don't love? Calories. Whilest familiarizing myself with the CPK menu online I unfortunately clicked the 'nutrition' tab. Mistake! I don't want to burst your bubbles but most of the pizzas were from 1100-1500 calories. UM HI that's your entire daily calorie limit. I'm no calorie natzi-haven't been the gym since March prolly and have been eating crap summery foods but somehow managed to lose a few pounds (Woot!). Again redundant. But holy crap that's unhealthy. So I feel a lot better about MY pizza because good lord there's no way it was more than 500-600 calories. I mean sure if you treat yourself-that's okay. Looord knows I do, but THAT my friends is why American are obese. Because too many people go out too often, and even if you order the healthiest thing you think that's on the menu-it's not. It's prolly been deep fried, basted in butter and fried again. YUCK. I might go for a walk tonight because I'm just that disgusted. Sorry rant almost over. If you haven't seen Food Inc. Go watch it. Well not before dinner because I promise you, you will NOT be hungry after watching that.
Makes me want to be a vegetarian again, but even veggies aren't safe. How many recalls of foods and cases of deadly E Coli in Spinach and lettuce. Too many. Okay seriously End Rant.

So learn this lesson, eat at home. And if you're craving a food from a restaurant I guarantee you can make a healthier version at home. I have faith in you.

Thai Chicken Pizza with Spicy Peanut Sauce

From Closet Cooking

Ingredients:
1 Pizza Dough
1/2 cup peanut sauce (See recipe here)
1 cup cooked chicken (torn into bite sized pieces)
1 carrot (julienned)
1 handful bean sprouts
2 green onions (chopped)
2 handfuls mozzarella cheese (grated)
1 handful peanuts (chopped)
1 handful cilantro (chopped) **Which I omitted and ya know I still never found the cilantro from the first time I did Thai--very suspicious.**

Directions:
1. Spread the peanut sauce over the pizza dough.
2. Sprinkle the chicken, carrot, bean sprouts green onions, cheese and peanuts onto the pizza.
3. Bake in a preheated 500F oven until golden brown on top, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Sprinkle the cilantro on top of the pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment