Saturday, July 17, 2010

Greek Pizza


This evening I tried a Greek Pizza recipe from For the Love of Cooking and it was really good! I was kinda surprised with this one, wasn't sure how all the flavors were going to come together but they really did. I think I made one mistake though, in using a store bought marinara sauce-It's one of my absolute favorite red sauces to use on pasta-it's spicy tomato basil, but I think the spicy was a little overwhelming on the pizza so the olives and artichoke hearts weren't as intense and I wanted to taste them more. Next time I think I'll go ahead and make my own pizza sauce because it's just as easy, and with tomatoes in full bloom during the summer you just cant go wrong with buying a bushel or two! :) So I'm very glad the pizza worked out. Makes me want to make homemade pizza more often, its so easy and inexpensive because you prolly have most ingredients in your own kitchen! I added a little garlic rub on the crust of this one but other than that the crust was pretty bland so next time I want to experiment with a cheese filled crust or maybe a tastier spice/garlic rub on the crust. Thoughts about that?

Other than that a great day in the kitchen (where I feel like I spent most of the day) and I feel very accomplished! Now just have to figure out what to make with all that zucchini I bought at the farmers market! I've got a few ideas I'm excited to try :)

Greek Pizza:
Recipe by For the Love of Cooking
  • Pizza dough
  • Corn meal (to sprinkle on pizza baking tray) [I used flour]
  • Pizza sauce
  • Mozzarella cheese
  • Feta cheese
  • Frozen artichoke hearts, thawed [I used canned]
  • Kalamata olives, sliced in half lengthwise
  • Red onion, sliced thinly
  • Roma tomato, sliced thinly
  • Dried oregano
Let the dough sit on a floured surface for 20 minutes before rolling it out. Thaw the artichoke hearts on a paper towel, make sure to blot them with an additional paper towel to remove any excess liquid. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Coat a large pizza baking tray with cooking spray then sprinkle lightly with corn meal. Roll the dough into whatever shape and size of pizza you desire. Place on baking tray. Evenly spread sauce, mozzarella, artichoke hearts, tomato slices, red onions, kalamata olives, feta cheese and oregano on top.

Place in the oven and bake for 10-14 minutes or until desired crispiness. Remove from oven and slice. Enjoy!
[I only used feta cheese on half in case my boyfriend wasn't a fan of feta; but feel free to go feta crazy :) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment