Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cats and a Cobbler!


So I went to the Farmer's Market this morning with my friend Jonha and got some great fruits and veggies. I love summer so much because of all the fresh fruits and vegetables!! I got some peaches, strawberries, zucchini and tomatoes. I held off on buying more herbs in case the cats get mad at me for taking more of their precious window space. Who would watch the neighborhood if they didn't?!

So I've never made a cobbler before so since I was in the mood for peaches I decided to make a peach strawberry cobbler! I got the recipe from For the Love of Cooking and just made some changes. I think it was pretty good, woulda added a little more sugar as it was a bit tart but the combination of peaches and strawberries is divine! And the cinnamon in the crumble added a nice touch! So my afternoon was spent mostly in the kitchen but I had a lot of fun and the cats were trying to be helpful.

I also used my Thai peanut sauce and leftover chicken to make a nice lil Thai Chicken Salad! Just maranade the chicken in leftover sauce and added a little more chicken broth and mixed it in so I could use some as a dressing as well. The sauce is so good I didn't even need any additional dressing which was lovely, added some croutons and the lettuce and had an easy peasy DELISH salad! My kinda meal.

So look later for my Greek pizza. Hopefully I'll be hungry again after that lovely salad and bit of cobbler!

Peach & Strawberry Crumble
(p.s to remove skin from peaches easily: Bring water to a boil, boil for 60 seconds and then dip into ice cold water. The skins should come off very easily)
  • 5 Peaches (Remove skin, pit and cut) & 1 lb give or take of strawberries (hull & cut)
  • 2-3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients until blended thoroughly. Spray a small baking dish with cooking spray and add berries. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.

  • 1/4 cup white flour
  • 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats, uncooked
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp slightly softened butter

While the fruit is baking in the oven, add flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and butter to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients with your fingers until crumbly. Once the fruit has cooked 20 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle the crumble evenly over the top of the fruit. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes longer. Serve plain or with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment