So actually made something today! Shocker. I was "stumbling" and found this blog and this mac n cheese recipe. The blog claims it to be the best mac n cheese ever. Which I will respectfully disagree. It was quite good, but I'm still on the search for the perfect mac n cheese recipe. This one was good, but something was still missing. I think it just tasted too plain. Someone in the comments suggested substituted the 2.5 cups of milk and using half sour cream and the other half milk. I (for once) actually had an ingredient I needed...the sour cream...but decided to forgo the commenter incase it sucked..which now I wish I had tried. It just need a lil pizzaz. So if anyone has THE best mac n cheese recipe ever...please share. It's now on my bucket list. Must find.
Try the recipe...if you think of anything to improve it feel free to comment. but if you want a basic mac n cheese..here's your recipe.
From The Hazel Bloom
The Best Macaroni and Cheese Ever
Adapted from the Bev's Macaroni and Cheese recipe on Recipezaar
Serves 5 - 6
- 8 oz. to 10 oz. macaroni or other pasta (like conchiglie!)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- Boil the pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking, and return to the pan you boiled it in. Set aside. (Mix in a little butter to keep the noodles from sticking if it's going to be awhile before you make the sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour, salt, dry mustard, pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika. Stir constantly over medium heat for about three minutes.
- Stir in the milk.
- Keeping on medium heat, whisk constantly for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 2 cups of the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and toss gently until all noodles are covered.
- Add half the noodles to a two quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle on half the cheese.
- Add the rest of the noodles.
- Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese, and dust lightly with the smoked paprika.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until it starts getting a slightly dry and a tiny bit brown on top