Thursday, July 15, 2010

Oh the Memories!

No recipe today just made nachos for dinner..nothing special. Next time I'm going to use a homemade salsa that I've used on top of a chicken that was delish. I got to thinkin' though, isn't it crazy how we remember things by our taste and smell of certain foods? I mean sometimes even really obscure foods. My gran (mom's mom) made THE best mashed potatoes! Like holy mother of God there prolly was a pound of butter on them, but man were they good. If I think hard enough I can smell her house and the overwhelming sense of butter mashed potatoes fills my mouth. She passed away when I was younger so it'd been a while but I can still smell them like it was yesterday. Sometimes I feel like I have major fat kid moments when I crave food from a certain place but then I think it's mostly I'm craving being back there in that moment in time or space. You guys know what I mean right? There are just certain food thats remind me of certain places and just make me so genuinely happy (again with the fat kid--dont judge me) These are some of my favs, what are yours from your life?

Jacksonville-Restuarants:Gotta go with Chic-fil-a or The Loop. I might even borderline be obsessed with Chic-fil-a and I HATE that they dont have any in New York. boo :/ Homemade: Sorry mom but gotta go with Dad's Chili, its so good as soon as I come home and smell it, it takes me back!

Rochester- Restuarant: Dino BBQ. Ironic that I had to come to the north to find the best barbeque hands down? If youre ever in Rochester, Syracuse or New York City dear god get yourself a reservation! Homemade: SO unhealthy but Rochester is where I discovered Buffalo Chicken Dip and it reminds me so much of my roomate and I just hanging out or making it for special occasions! Yum I want to make some now!

Finland (Did an exchange year there) Rogbrod: Best translation I can give you is a rye bread..but it's nothing like Rye bread here in the US. I would pay an exorbitant amount of money to find this in the united states. My favorite homemade food might have to be my host moms lasagna dish or this chicken & rice number. Both were delish and I will never be able to replicate but that makes them that much more special.

San Fransisco-Practically spending every childhood summer in California made it feel like a second home. So for that I will always wish I could live there for their sough dough bread and the best pizza I've ever had at Zach's Pizza in Berkeley. If you've never been or are in the area-GO!


As promised-a great homemade easy salsa to add to any dish for some spice!

Salsa

  • 1 pound fresh tomatoes, diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 medium shallot, diced
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 small jalapeño, cored, seeded and minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Heat oven to 400. Cover a baking tray with foil. To make salsa, spread tomatoes on tray; drizzle with oil. Add salt and pepper. Bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Combine tomatoes, shallots, onion, jalapeño, garlic and oregano in a bowl. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Enjoy! Thanks to Self.com for the recipe!


Sorry for the random babble, this blog might turn both ways (my ramblings and recipes), So be patient! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment